Saturday, October 23, 2010

One Year

I'll start by saying, Ellen reads this blog often and is so grateful and feels so touched by the outpouring of love and generousity everyone has shown her.

A year ago today, which was a very cold Friday morning around this time, I was dressing my 2 year old daughter (at the time) in a winter jacket as we were running late for story time at the library. If anyone knows, it's not easy getting a toddler in a car seat, let alone one who is now wearing two extra layers of clothes. Of course, my phone rings right at that minute as I'm struggling to get her into the warmth of my car. I, myself still haven't put on my jacket and am standing in the driveway freezing. Ben calls just to chat but he hardly got a chance to say hello, when his call waiting beeps. He clicks over and shortly clicks back to me and tells me Ellen was in a car accident. As we all know, Ellen has been in a few car accidents before and my first response is she'll be okay, what happened? Ben, didn't know much or say but his voice was nervous, shaky almost. I felt instantly something was wrong. I asked if he knew anything and he said it's serious and she's en route to the hospital. He said someplace in New York and that was it. Hung up. I called everyone and tried to piece together as much information as I could. Isabella and I are now back in the warmth of our home but I felt colder than ever. It was cold, but it wasn't the coldest day ever but I just couldn't get warm again. I think I stayed cold and shivering for two weeks straight. The reason I went into all this detail about this morning, one year ago today, was that life was going one way, normal, routine as usual and in an instant the whole day changed and Ellen's entire life changed.

I'm not going to re-hash all the details of the rest of that day and the many days and months to come. Everyone who loves Ellen, remembers how they felt, what she was going through just to stay alive and what she goes through on a daily basis to keep getting better.

Today, I want us to celebrate Ellen, her life, her miracle, her accomplishments, her tenacity.

Ellen has come a long way. First, she defied all the doctors and not only is alive but has come farther along than any science/medical professional could imagine. I believe and so does Ellen, that it is not without all the love and prayers from all of you.

It's amazing to speak with Ellen. She speaks about her hopes, her dreams and everything she plans on doing with her life. She looks for the good in every situation. Ellen is so thankful for everyone who has helped in her recovery and she works hard in everything she does. Ellen's road to recovery is still an ongoing process and I know she gives all she has to continue her progress. When we talk, I remember how precious life is, how grateful I am for life and having Ellen in our lives and what a strong, beautiful woman she is.

During the holidays last year, I presented Ellen with a journal. Maybe she hasn't used the journal yet, but I hope she uses those pages to write her story. What she's going through day to day. She's an amazing, positive, beautiful human being. The things she says are so bright, so intelligent, so thoughtful, so meaningful, so enlightening. Sometimes heartbreaking but a true story of prayer, hope, miracles and dreams. Ellen can help herself and so many other people with her will to live.

Today, I celebrate Ellen. Not the anniversary of her accident but the miracle of her life, her positivity, her courage, strength and beauty inside and out.

Please post your comments today.

With love,
Ella

No comments:

Post a Comment